Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Let them eat cake!

I realized that I have yet to show off my wedding cake! I've loved decorating cakes ever since my amazing YW leader did a mini-tutorial one night in high school. I've only dabbled in it some since high school. I've made a cake that looks like a daisy a couple times, helped my sister make this awesome frog cake for her daughter, decorated cupcakes, made this awful flop of a cake in the shape of a book for a class, and I even made my now husband/then friend's birthday cake with a chess theme a year ago. After all of this AMAZING talent I was practicing and constantly honing (note that this is dripping in sarcasm), I was crazy enough to be adamant about the idea that I was going to make my wedding cake! It was one of the few things that I wanted to contribute to my wedding and save a lot of money on.

The first time I tried making the cake, I attempted to do the first two layers with rice krispies to make it easier..but that ended up looking WAY too bumpy and gross and I was a stressed out bride who didn't have the time to figure that out. Instead, I decided to make the whole thing out of white cake, adding turquoise frosting in the top layer for a nice accent when we cut the cake! After tons of searching for the perfect ribbons and flowers and materials....

VOILA! We have my beautiful wedding cake!


I'm pretty proud of it :) Thankfully the cake I made for the reception (this was just a practice cake) was perfect...even though I made it the night before and it took me all night long. But hey, it worked out :) 

3 comments:

  1. Good job, Amanda! I'm proud of you. You and your man make a cute couple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad the rice krispy thing didn't work out because this cake was as delicious as it was beautiful. I think you need to keep on "dabbling" and start doing this for other people too.

    ReplyDelete